N. Boehm (Model Schools Conference, June 2006), special education teacher at Matthys Elementary School, Houston, Texas, reported the following strategies, which were successful for her and the teachers at her school, mainstream and special education teachers alike:
- Do not engage in power struggles.
- Make situations win-win.
- Make situations teachable life-lessons.
- Use simple rules.
- Expect correct responses/actions.
- Provide students with time to transition.
- Provide students time to control their emotions.
- Do what works. This demands knowledge of students, good relationships, and personal experimentation.