H. Wong (Model Schools Conference, June 2006), writer of The First Days of School
, informed a conference audience of a number of practical strategies for classroom management. Here are some of those items:
- Define classroom procedures clearly, like how to take notes, study, do homework, …
- Teach students classroom procedures and routines. Explain, rehearse, and reinforce all procedures.
- Create a binder that outlines teaching activities, ranging from beginning to end of class.
- Consider cooperative learning, which Wong calls support groups or the support community. Break up the class into small groups, giving the group an experiential learning activity, i.e. high relevance, such that all team members have a duty.
- Use positive expectations.